Simple tips on increasing energy.
Many patients who come to see us in practice often report having low energy.
There are many reasons for this including pain, lack of sleep, poor hydration, poor nutrition and stress. As a nation we are constantly bombarded with articles looking at ways to increase energy, from energy boosting tablets, to herbal teas to specific diets, but often there is little scientific evidence that these actually make a long term difference to our energy levels.
Whilst at the practice we make no ‘magic suggestions’ as to what you can do, there are simple tips that you could try to embrace, that can naturally increase your energy levels. Why not give these 5 simple ones a go and see how you feel.
- Exercise- try to incorporate more exercise in to every day. Take simple steps to increase your exercise levels each week and aim to take at least 20 minutes exercise a day. Exercise is great for body and mind and also helps to enhance sleep too. Work within your limits, but set yourself goals and work to improve them regularly.
- Try to incorporate smaller meals and snacks to maintain blood sugar levels, rather than 3 bigger meals a day. This way your body is fuelled better throughout the day. Choose more ‘natural’ non-refined food sources and look to incorporate a balance in your diet. Cook more from scratch and use less processed foods.
- Incorporate foods with a low glycaemic index such as wholegrains, high fibre vegetables and nuts.
- Drink more water. We should aim to consume 6-8 glasses of fluid a day. Try to avoid caffeine and sugary drinks too. When the body is lacking in fluid, fatigue is one of the 1st symptoms we will get.
- Sleep well. Avoid napping in the day. Get into a good sleep routine and most of all, do not oversleep. Oversleeping can lead to more fatigue. Try and go to bed and get up at the same time each day. The average person needs no more than 7-8 hours of sleep, some as little as 4 and the amount of sleep we need will change with age.
For more advice and information relating to increasing energy naturally, speak to the team at BOP. Our treatments may assist you in feeling more energised, relaxed and help you to sleep too. Call today on 01903 820206 or see Worthingosteopathy.com for more information.